Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lecture 5 & the tale of the Blog

I am starting to think, in some ways, that I am not cut for the Web (2.0). A few years ago I set up a FaceBook page so that I could keep in touch with friends. During my years on facebook I never really got into it - all the poking, writing on walls, using it as my main email server etc. It just never happened. In fact the only thing I really enjoyed was posting photos to share with my friends instead of emailing them.

Even today I struggle with social networking outside of my profession. I have a LinkedIN account and I use it regularly as the feeds get sent to me by email and then all I have to do is click on the post that is of interest. I am linking up with others in my profession and actively participate in conversations as well as having posted my own questions to bounce around.

I struggle to find the time to maintain the tools that we have setup for this course and rarely check my facebook account anymore (mostly only when an email is sent to me to confirm a friend or notify an email sent).

I have nothing against any of these tools, but for me personally, unless I am gaining a value I can measure instantly I just can't get into them. It's funny really because we watched the clip of Clay Shirky talk about how much 'free time' we spend watching TV. I was stunned by his figures. Mostly because I don't really have that free time to do such a thing. I watch around 8-10 hours of TV a week, and for at least half of those 8-10hrs I am doing something else (eating dinner with the family, washing dishes, ironing/folding clothes). There are only 2 programs that I sit and watch and do nothing else.

I hate to admit it but I find it hard to have a regular social life, let alone a virtual one. It makes me wonder what is happening to the regular family out there? Is it getting washed out by the wave of Web2.0 and social networking?

No comments:

Post a Comment